Soumya JamesIndependent Art Historian
My academic pursuits are complemented by an interest in dance and languages.
- Panyembrama, Indonesian Cultural Night, Cornell University, May 2007.
- Gabor, Cornell Southeast Asia Program Spring Banquet, Women’s Community Center, Ithaca, May 2006.
- Rejang Dewa, Cornell Southeast Asia Program Spring Banquet, Cornell University, May 2005.
- Gambyong, Indonesian Cultural Night, Cornell University, May 2004.
Studying the art, architecture and history of Southeast Asia and South Asia is an inherently multi-lingual exercise. A liking for learning new languages is necessary for being able to access primary sources.
- Fluent in English and Tamil.
- Intermediate knowledge of Sanskrit.
- Intermediate knowledge of Khmer.
- Intermediate knowledge of French.
- Speaking fluency of Malayalam, beginner level in reading and writing.
- Beginner level in Hindi.